From Cake Lab

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Past Cakes: The First Three

I've decided to start posting the cakes I've made before the start of this blog. While I don't exactly like them, I think it's good to show where I've come from, and also talk about some of the lessons I learned doing things the first time around.


This first cake was the cake I made with Tracy. Making marshmallow fondant for the first time was interesting. We definitely added way too much powdered sugar. When we were ready to cover the cake with fondant, we took it out of the fridge and it was practically rock hard! We heated it up a bit in the microwave, but it was definitely not the right texture. The circles were made with shot glasses as the only tools we had were a rolling pin and a knife! Now that I think about it I guess it didn't turn out to bad haha.


This was my second cake, made for my friend Nandita's birthday. Again the fondant here was not the right texture, and you can see that it's not too smooth. I was actually pretty happy with the way the roses turned out considering it was my first time making anything like that. I'm actually looking forward to making a cake in this style again as I know I can a much better job, now that I have the proper food dyes and leaf stamps/cookie cutters.



Well pretty obvious what this cake was for. Honestly I didn't really know what to do with this one. I think it would have been a lot better if I used random sizes for the lines on the side. And yes, the flower is out of place, but I had received a bunch of cake supplies from my sister Avery (an early xmas gift) the day after I made the cake. Just wanted to try something new quickly. Sadly, this cake just screams plain...sorry Mom! At least it was tasty.

I baked a BUNCH of cake this morning, which will be used for my next cake...definitely my biggest yet. It will present me some challenges but I may just be able to pull it off. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment