From Cake Lab

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Funky Topsy Turvy Wedding Cake

Not sure if I can really classify this as a wedding cake, but it was for a wedding so I guess it meets the criteria!
When I was first contacted about this cake I was told they wanted a purple and green topsy turvy cake with large "obnoxious" flowers. The party was only for 20-25 guests, so we just did a mini 4" tier for the top. One of the coolest things about the wedding was the fact that none of the guests knew they were going to be attending a wedding. Sounds like a fun couple, and they wanted a cake to show off their individuality.
The most challenging part of the cake was definitely the flowers. Once I figured out how to make the lilies, things went pretty smoothly. I originally planned on having three flowers, but after too many mishaps I ended up just using two, which i think ended up looking pretty cool anyway.



This was my second topsy turvy cake, and it's a little bit embarrassing to look back at my first attempt I made just over a year ago. At least it's nice to be able to see how far I've come in a year. Carving is so much easier now, my fondant job is smoother, and my airbrush opens up all sorts of possibilities. I totally forgot that I had used dowels but no cake board last time! Don't know how I expected them to support anything lol.
Anyway I totally love this cake and these are the types of tiered cakes I want to be known for.

No comments:

Post a Comment